[TriLUG] One Laptop Per Child

Tim Jowers timjowers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 08:31:14 EST 2007

   $200 is a really cheap laptop. I truly believe this could be a new
era of ubiquitous computing. Heck, maybe disposable computing in the
true American fashion! Not sure why they chose a custom GUI... my
experience is dumb users need to learn and computers are best used by
1/2 way intelligent people. Maybe Gnome and KDE really are too bloated
for their HW?

   I hope Necroponte cleans up with this program. He's smart to do
like AAPL and not sell on specs. A quick search and I could not even
find the specs.  The BS Intel did once he got countries interested
smacks of imperialism. Reminds me of your drug question.. why exactly
do the exact same drugs from teh exact same bulk pharmaceuticals plant
cost 10 to 20 times more for Americans to buy? INTC immediately
dropped their laptop price down to his pricing level once he got
traction... so Americans pay 2 or 4 times more for the privilege of
buying a laptop in America!

Let the EUROpeans and CHINese foot the bill for innovation, they are
the ones benefiting - if case you haven't noticed, the dollar is
collapsing. It's not unnoticed that HP and many others are selling
almost the same laptop hardware-wise as they were when I bought my
last one in 2003 for about the same price. Its old Hardware to be
selling 5 years later! They have hardly even lowered the price either
(~$750)! Or maybe they have on an international scale but the dollar
devaluation has bitten us. That's what happens when all of your
manufacturing is in China.

Tim