[TriLUG] newbie needs help with IP setup, part 2: static IP?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Tue Dec 4 18:27:07 EST 2007

Tom Roche Tue, 04 Dec 2007 16:54:32 -0500
 >> I'm trying to setup a POS for my food co-op. That will ultimately
 >> require static IP (more later), but for current testing DHCP should
 >> work. Unfortunately I'm not getting even that,

Brian Henning Dec 4, 2007 5:04 PM
 > TWC is probably not allowing you more than one public IP at a time,
 > and probably once your laptop grabbed it the first time, your
 > laptop's MAC was stored in the cable modem, preventing any other MAC
 > from obtaining a lease. Power-cycling the modem should clear its MAC
 > cache and allow a different device to request an IP (but still only
 > one device at a time).

Thanks! Now the box can DHCP, but I hafta take the laptop upstairs to
where it can wireless. Suboptimal, but at least I can continue
testing. But I have some more questions, before which a little
background:

* The cablemodem (which is a Motorola Surfboard SB5100) is not
   mine--I've got this testbed setup in the basement of a friend's
   house--hence I'm not familiar with TWC.

* The POS I'm trying to setup will ultimately need 2 static IP#s, in
   order for a database box to talk to a "lane" box (to which the
   display, scanner/scale, receipt printer, and cash drawer will
   connect). These IP#s will go in config files for the POS app.

* The friend who's hosting this has also acquired 2 domain names (for
   yet another project) from godaddy, but hasn't done anything with
   them yet.

So I'm wondering, how to get 2 static IP#s and make them work on this
network

 >> Both the [POS boxes] and my laptop are connected (via cat5) to an
 >> old-school 10/100 hub, which is itself connected (via cat5) to [the
 >> TWC Surfboard SB5100]

(preferably with the laptop also connected so I don't hafta wardrive,
or war-sit-on-the-couch, or whatever you call poaching on someone's
wireless from somewhere in the house other than where you wanna be :-)
I.e.

0 Given 2 godaddy domain names, what do I hafta do to get 2 static
   IP#s?

1 Will the TWC Surfboard route to static IPs connected to it? Then I
   could just DHCP the laptop, and Life Should Be Good.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>