[TriLUG] cheap/free router?

Tom Roche Tom_Roche at pobox.com
Wed Dec 26 23:05:05 EST 2007

I'm back on the Durham Food Co-op's point-of-sale project after a
detour into Clearwire/VoIP adoption. Our POS budget is quite small (my
personal budget right now is *really* tight), and I'd like to save
what we've got toward buying the scanner/scale, but, per the many
suggestions on this list, I also need to get a router. Anybody got
one, new or used, that they could let go cheap or free? All I think I
need is

* DHCP and connection sharing: this router would go between our new
  Clearwire modem and our 2 POS PCs (for now--at deployment time I'd
  like to also put our 2 office PCs behind it as well), and the POS
  software requires stable IP#s for some config files.

* 2 wire ports (minimum, for now--more would be nice for later). The
  POS PCs have no wireless, and I'd like to keep it that way.

* the ability to block all incoming traffic except for SSH.

* the ability to disable wireless if provided. A wire-only router
  would be fine.

Something like a Linksys WRT54G would do the job: we have one now, but
it's currently providing wireless for the office and store, and I
can't touch that for now.

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche at pobox.com>