[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

Glenn Starling GJStarling at charter.net
Fri Jan 11 09:03:30 EST 2008

Probably the lubricant on the speaker system plugs and jacks was a
mistake, but I suspect it would only result in intermittent operation.
I wouldn't worry too much about it until you get the computer/speakers
working, but wouldn't try it again!

You might also consider:
*	Insure that it is the headphone jack rather than a mic jack that you
have plugged the speakers into.

*	Has the laptop been taken apart where it is possible a jumper from the
headphone jack was not correctly plugged back into the motherboard when
the repairs were finished?

*	 Was the microphone jack physically damaged?  Many times there is a
switch that is a part of the jack, so that when a plug is inserted it
disconnects the internal speaker.  Are the switch contacts clean and
still functioning?

*	Check the way that particular laptop was "supposed to work."  There
may have been a software combination (function key, etc.) that would
activate the headphone.  I don't have any experience with the Compaq
Presario V133CL.  Without knowing, it is difficult to tell if it is
hardware or software.

Good luck!

-- Glenn Starling