[TriLUG] How to get laptop earphone jack to work?

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Fri Jan 11 09:15:24 EST 2008

Steve,

I have seen this same issue across operating systems on a little
Inspiron that I inherited from a friend.
It seems there is a technical issue with some common plug layouts on
these integrated sound chipsets that only arises when the machine is
slammed repeatedly into the wall (by arbitrary user) in fits of
seizing rage. This is induced by malfunctioning windows installations.

The best solution I could find was to open the casing to resettle the
pieces and connections before whispering softly into the input
promises of never letting another admin touch her there again.
 From now on it's just me and her, baby.

Ahem, after you try all of the software suggestions, open it up and
look for physical damage.

John Wheeler
Ethereal Fringe Designs
jwheeler at etherealfringe.com