[TriLUG] Advice on an ultra-light notebook

James Tuttle jjtuttle at trilug.org
Thu Jan 17 14:03:12 EST 2008

Well, the fact is that one would require an NCSU ID to check out a
laptop.  We also have Macs to check out.  The Lenovo's dual boot XP and
our own Realm Red Hat version.  The page is down (unknown reason,
working on it), but information should be at
http://www.lib.ncsu.edu/laptoplending/

I'd be glad to meet any of you at the circulation desk and check one out
for you, though.  You can't leave the library with it, but it's a nice
way to test out the X60 tablets on our wireless for awhile.

Jim

Kevin J. wrote:
> Folks can just walk up and "check out" a $2300 laptop?? I assume you require a statement in blood or something similar (e.g., car title, rights to first born, etc.)
>
> Kevin
>
> James Tuttle <jjtuttle at trilug.org> wrote: We have a bunch of Lenovo X60's at the NCSU Libraries that people can
> check out.  I guess that probably wouldn't help you, but the NCSU
> Bookstore also usually has the latest Thinkpads and tablets that you can
> play with.  You know, in case you haven't had the chance to play with one.
>
> Jim
>
> Andrew Perrin wrote:
>> Thanks, all, for advice on this. I'm considering backing off for a while
>> to let the Macbook Air come on the market and see how it does -- and also
>> whether I can afford the price tag. If not, I will probably go for a
>> Lenovo X61, which seems like a good balance of features, price, and
>> weight. I'm intrigued by the touch-screen, too.
>>
>> Andy

>> Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://perrin.socsci.unc.edu
>> Associate Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
>> University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA

---Jim Tuttle