[TriLUG] What filesystem would you use for a laptop?

Michael Kimsal mgkimsal at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 09:56:51 EST 2008

FWIW I've been using ext3 on laptops for a few years now and haven't noticed
a huge drain vs ext2.  I've not done comparisons though.  One thing I don't
like is the 'no way on earth to ever recover a deleted file not in a million
years' issue.  :(  Also, likely you'll be able to suspend the drive to RAM
or disk, so the 'boot time' shouldn't be a problem often anyway.

Good luck.

On Jan 25, 2008 9:53 AM, Andrew Perrin <clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:

> It's been a while since I've set up a new system. I've never before used a
> journaling FS, but am considering either riser or ext3 for the one that's
> supposed to arrive today (woo-hoo). Comments? Does the journaling take
> processor overhead, and thereby battery time? I tend to think of my laptop
> as a portable peripheral to my desktop, so fast boot time is nice but
> there won't be a lot of crucial data stored on the machine.
>
> Thanks-
> Andy

Michael Kimsal
http://webdevradio.com