[TriLUG] Suggestion on a Web Cam

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue Feb 5 23:32:57 EST 2008

Mark Sminkey wrote:
> All:
>
> Can someone suggest a relatively cheap web camera for use with Skype (~$30
> or so) that's easy to setup on Linux?
>
> I use Kubuntu 7.1 and was looking for one that would just work without a lot
> of fuss.
>
> Thanks,
> Mark

Webcam support in Linux Sux0rs!

The two most supported linux webcam drivers seem to be gspca and uvc.
Both of which work with Video4Linux(V4L)  But some applications support
V4L and some support V4L2.   You need to see what Skype supports.
Support is sketchy for most webcams.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong
and things have changed since I last looked at them.  Also webcam
vendors are notorious for changing chipsets mid model number so you'll
need to make sure what chipset you get in addition to what model number.

http://mxhaard.free.fr/index.html
http://linux-uvc.berlios.de/
http://www.linux.com/base/ldp/howto/Webcam-HOWTO/index.html <--- old but
good overview.