[TriLUG] bash scripting - formatting and verifying input

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sat Mar 1 07:32:00 EST 2008

James Olin Oden wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 11:53 AM, Kevin Hunter <hunteke at earlham.edu> wrote:
>> At 10:06a -0500 on Fri, 29 Feb 2008, James Olin Oden wrote:
>>  > Finally, bad perl comes from bad programmers.   Its not the
>>  > language...trust me I have seen bad Python....it is really possible
>>  > to write bad code in any language.
>>
>>  Touche.  My point should not have been Perl specific.  Just using the
>>  FUD to my advantage!  ;-)
> No worries, because unfortunately there is a lot of bad perl.  I think
> its because the language is very loose.  Developers left in a perl
> environment have the freedom to do what ever they want.  Sadly, many
> people when let loose of the artificial controls and hinderinces and
> having no inner order of their own do not typically do well...I wax
> philisophic though.

I told a colleague I spent the day on Friday writing some Perl scripts.
  He asked if that was the same thing as just banging on the keyboard
randomly.  :-)

At least I do use "strict" and "warnings" in all of my code (and I fix
the warnings!) ... but there are still many many ways to do things.

--Jeremy