[TriLUG] OT: RSA Securid - how does it work?

William Sutton william at trilug.org
Sat Mar 8 10:43:45 EST 2008

I have one of these things for work as well.  I don't know the technical
implementation details, but this is the information I've come across:
- the device keeps changing the number (AFAIK, it isn't a time) every so
often, with a counter to show you how much longer it has until the number
changes again
- when you first activate it, you provide the number and the main server
stores the amount of drift betwen your device and what it should be
- when you login using it, the server adjusts for drift using that offset
- oh, yes...they do die, apparently quite abruptly (self destruct, I
think).

I'm curious to see what's inside one, but don't feel like explaining to
$WORK what happened if it breaks...

William Sutton