[TriLUG] OT: RSA Securid - how does it work?

Keith Woodie kwoodie at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 11:41:19 EST 2008

I too have one of these for work.  The way it was explained to me was
that the RSA company encodes a set of numbers, a number for every
minute from the moment it is created until the moment it is supposed
to expire.  The reason they die exactly on the day it says on the back
is because it simply runs out of numbers.  The server at work is
pre-programmed with the same set of numbers.  Once the RSA key is
registered with the server, both the server and the key begin counting
down.  They typically last for 5years.  The longer they last the more
expensive they are.

I have a buddy at work that has a bank that gave him one of these keys
for his online banking.  If your interested in secure online banking I
don't know of a better way.

<Keith>

--->Keith<---