[TriLUG] Recommendations: Webcam & Audio Interface

Tom Eisenmenger teisenmenger at charter.net
Sun Mar 9 18:07:07 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I need to produce some class lectures on vid/podcast so I thought I'd
give Ubuntu Studio 7.10 a go on my Dell Latitude C610.

Question 1:  Could someone recommend an Ubuntu-compatible webcam,
preferably designed for notebook use?  My C610 only has USB 1.1 - will
this be a problem?

Question 2:  I could probably use the built-in mic (such that it is) but
since I also play a little bass I thought it'd be cool to do some demo
recording.  I'm thinking of picking up a used Digidesign Mbox 2.  Has
anyone tried using this device in Ubuntu Studio?   I know there's an app
comparable to ProTools included in US (can't remember its name offhand)
but I'm more concerned with Linux having the appropriate drivers.

Cheers,

Tom Eisenmenger