[TriLUG] Recommendations: Webcam & Audio Interface

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 9 19:16:15 EDT 2008

On Sunday 09 March 2008 18:07, Tom Eisenmenger wrote:
> Question 2:  I could probably use the built-in mic (such that it is) but
> since I also play a little bass I thought it'd be cool to do some demo
> recording.  I'm thinking of picking up a used Digidesign Mbox 2.  Has
> anyone tried using this device in Ubuntu Studio?   I know there's an app
> comparable to ProTools included in US (can't remember its name offhand)
> but I'm more concerned with Linux having the appropriate drivers.

Tom, we have utilized an M-Audio USB based device for some recordings. It
worked fairly well under Linux (Ubuntu and SuSE). However, it was limited by
the available drivers. Specifically when we tried to change the recording
rate, it seemed that the linux drivers were not able to send the proper
instructions to the M-Audio device.

The tool we utilize is Audacity. It works quite nicely.

Ron