[TriLUG] OT: RSA Securid - how does it work?

David Black dave at jamsoft.com
Sun Mar 9 22:21:13 EDT 2008

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

> In principle I expect the one I have from work would do, for
> any vendor, except that ebay would have to have some proof

Each batch of tokens ships with a "seed file" to be installed on the
server.  That file allows the server to compute the code the token
should be showing at a given time, for a range of token serial numbers.
 RSA/Verisign is adamant about knowing exactly who has a seed file and
given set of tokens, and where they are.  (My experience when ordering
from them.)

These things add up to make me think re-using a token outside a single
server cluster, let alone among multiple vendors, just isn't going to
happen - at least with the SecurID system.

Dave