[TriLUG] Problems with webserver at home

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Wed Mar 12 09:52:46 EDT 2008

To answer Jeremy's previous question, only going from an internal client
to the internal server is slow. Going from inside to outside is not.

As for the /etc/hosts file suggestions:

I've tried this with the server's hostname for simplicity of editing
files with Quanta, internal sftp, ssh, etc, and it appears to work for
for the editing scenario.

One note: I do have Apache running multiple virtual hosts from this one
server.

So my followup question:

How would I go about adding the virtual hosts?

i.e.

10.0.0.1 firstsite.example.com # would be the first host I'm assuming
10.0.0.1 secondsite.example.com # wouldn't this bring up the first site?

I have adjusted my DocumentRoot to be the root of the server, NOT any
site. The hierarchy is as follows:

/www
./site1
./site2
./site3

Apache httpd.conf:
DocumentRoot /www
<VirtualHost *:80>
Servername firstsite.example.com:80
DocumentRoot "/www/site1"
</VirtualHost>

<VirtualHost *:80>
Servername secondsite.example.com:80
DocumentRoot "/www/site2"
</VirtualHost>

Again, from the outside, it works flawlessly, but from the inside, it's
slow.