[TriLUG] Eee?

Kevin J. mrkevinj at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 27 12:32:22 EDT 2008

We've been having the same discussion on the UCLUG list (http://uclug.rrci.com/mailman/private/uclug/). I've been debating between the n810, eee, Cloudbook, or a regular laptop for a while now. The Cloudbook has some pretty bad reviews (e.g., slow boot up times, draconian EULA, gOS problems, etc.) so I stopped looking at that one.

The eee is growing in popularity very rapidly and seems to be a very versatile machine. You can watch the YouTube videos to get some ideas for what's possible (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUPxetUrjXw). Supposedly, they are coming out with a 9" touchscreen in the near future, which I am waiting for. You can boot off of SD cards or other media (the video shows you how) so it's plausible that you could just load up a different OS on several 8GB SDHC cards and choose your distro of choice. The 16GB SD cards may be a problem for now (another reason I'm waiting on a newer model), but it looks like a very nice little laptop for the money. You can read a good review at http://www.epinions.com/content_415156702852, or search Google.

Kevin