[TriLUG] Dnsmasq: Single Host with multiple IPs

Randy Barlow randy at electronsweatshop.com
Thu Mar 27 15:53:41 EDT 2008

Alan Porter wrote:
> Is there a particular reason you want to hard-wire the IP's?
>
> If you just remove both entries (and do send host-name "<hostname>";
> in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf), then you'll get an IP for either
> interface, you can access the machine using its hostname.
>
> The only thing that'll be a little awkward will be the switch from
> wired to wireless and back.  Any open connections you have may need
> to be shutdown and re-started, because you'll have a new IP address.
> But that is no change from what you are already doing now.

Ah, I didn't know that client option.  Unfortunately, it seems like
Gentoo might so it a different way as there is no /etc/dhcp or similar
folders or config files.  Gentoo likes to do things like that with
/etc/conf.d/net, so perhaps that is where I need to set the host name to
be sent.  I'll look into that, thanks!

--
Randy Barlow
http://electronsweatshop.com