[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

jonesjc jonesjc at intrex.net
Fri Mar 28 14:33:31 EDT 2008

All,

First off, there is still a lot about linux and fedora in particular that I need to understand.

Until I began using fedora 7, I had no problem with red hat and fedora installs, but recently I installed fedora 7 on my laptop and fedora 8 on a server.

Both exhibited slowness of operation. My laptop which is an intel celeron 1.1ghz processor with 256mb of ram is extremely slow. Once I installed F7 on the laptop, I tried starting firefox (gnome, x-windows). It took more than 30 seconds to start.

suspecting memory problems, I began stopping processes that I didnt think I needed. One process, console-kit-daemon, which I have no clue as to it's usefullness was stopped and then I checked memory usage, ( cat /proc/meminfo ) which provided the following data:

MemTotal:       246620 kB
MemFree:          3852 kB

I then stopped haldaemon and Avahi daemon Next check of meminfo provided:

MemTotal:       246620 kB
MemFree:         12380 kB

No Lamp processes running.

( On my server, the memory usage says: 597.95 MB total, 341.77 MB used ) When using x-windows (gnome), it is also slow.

Without purchasing more memory, what can I do to improve fedora 7

thanks for your help.

jcj

--
Domains maintained by J.C. Jones