[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

James c. Jones jonesjc at intrex.net
Fri Mar 28 15:43:51 EDT 2008

Alan,

As stated I am running Gnome with x-windows. Someone stated that 30
seconds for firefox to start with 256mb of ram sounded good to them.

I guess I am used to fedora core 5 ( or even ubuntu ) with the same
memory and processor, both of which took much less time.

With this latest install ( fedora 7 ), a terminal window takes 15
seconds are more to start up in gnome.

I will use your suggestion of top and sorting by virtual memory the next
time I start up my laptop. I had not looked at the man pages for top to
find other sort possibilities. From my way of thinking, I should see any
process starting after startup in virtual memory, since they all seem to
take so long to load.

Thanks for the suggestions.

jcj