[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

Maxwell Spangler maxpublic08 at maxwellspangler.com
Sun Mar 30 01:52:27 EDT 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008, jonesjc wrote:

> No, I haven't priced ram and my main point is, I really should not have to
> add ram, since earlier distros worked well.

You need to add more memory.  Seriously, a little cash and a big difference.

My four year old HP laptop has 1.5Ghz and 1G of RAM.  It's definitely *seems*
slower at initial application startups these days, mostly since moving to F7
and then F8.  It was snappy when it was new and I did less with it, but now it
doesn't feel as good.

With 1G of RAM, My graphical system monitor suggestes that about 400MB or so
is used out of the box for my normal environment.  Right now, for example,
it's about 45% user memory, 55% disc cache.  I'm running gnome-terminal,
nautilus, fetchmail/procmail, vlc playing a DVD, Firefox, emule, amarok and a
full gnome setup including NetworkManager, and a full time system monitor
graphical display.

So my suggestion to you use add another 256M to stop swapping and give it more
breathing room.  If you could, go to 1G so it'll use the disc cache instead of
a slow, dated hard drive.

Given all that, we have to realize that there is a cycle with software and
hardware.  If we want better environments and more features, we have to keep
upgrading the hardware to support it.  I still love my four year old HP laptop
on it but I don't dare run a virtual machine + Windows environment or any
similar software designed best for today's dual core + 4 G of ram
environments..

Maxwell Spangler
Research Triangle Park, North Carolina