[TriLUG] fedora 7 & 8 slowness?

James c. Jones jonesjc at intrex.net
Sun Mar 30 13:12:05 EDT 2008

Maxwell,

I appreciate your thoughts on adding ram to my old laptop.
Unfortunately, My laptop can only hold 256mb more ( total of 512 ) which
might improve it some, but I have a speedier desktop with 640mb running
fedora 8 and it's sluggish as well.

Before I invest in more ram, I will probably look to buy a new laptop. I
know ram is cheap, but from what I see, it's not going to make it
perform the way earlier versions of fedora/redhat did. The suggestion I
received about the swappiness variable has help a great deal.

I may retreat to an earlier version of fedora and live with it. I don't
see that I have gained a lot from fedora 7.

My guess that as programmers upgrade their base machines, they don't
recognize the bloat that appears on older pc's.

I wonder if the latest distro's have a base machine that they test on.
If so, it would be nice to know what that base pc is. You could then
decide if it is worth upgrading to a new distro.

Again, thanks for the thoughts.

jcj