[TriLUG] Off Topic: Need Cisco Router Config Help

Tarus Balog tarus at opennms.org
Thu Apr 3 17:23:15 EDT 2008

On Apr 3, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Nick Goldwater wrote:
> So is your local lan 172.20.1.x or something different that needs to
> be routed?
> Perhaps I'm missing something but it appears that
> private.opennms.com is on the same subnet?

Okay, I have a bunch of virtual domains that point to
private.opennms.com. They are NAT'd from the outside world to
172.20.1.10 (on the LAN).

However, when I am actually on the LAN (with a 172.20.1.x address) I
can't reach any of those external addresses, as going to
private.opennms.com terminates on the router and it is not NAT'd to
the proper box.

I get around this now with an entry in /etc/hosts for those domains to
point to 172.20.1.10 that I just comment out when I'm off the LAN, but
I'd like a better solution. I know that we can futz with the DNS
server and make this work, but we'd rather not have to if there is a
better way.

Remember that low-end routers seem to NAT regardless of where the
traffic originates. I've been told that this is actually incorrect
behavior but it made things easier.

-T

Tarus Balog, OpenNMS Maintainer             Main:   +1 919 533 0160
The OpenNMS Group, Inc.                     Fax:    +1 503 961 7746
Email: tarus at opennms.org                    URL: http://www.opennms.org
PGP Key Fingerprint: 8945 8521 9771 FEC9 5481  512B FECA 11D2 FD82 B45C