[TriLUG] TimeWarner tinkering around with time travel?

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Wed Apr 9 16:31:35 EDT 2008

It's no secret that TWC phone support is lousy, at least in the Road
Runner residential realm.  Shortly after I had my RR Turbo service
installed in September, I called Customer Service a couple times to
complain that I consistently saw throughput of, at most, 4.5 mbps, from
my 8mbps service.  One of those times I spoke to someone in Canada, who
insisted that "good numbers" from traceroute meant my call absolutely
could not be escalated.

Fast forward to a couple months ago when a service man came to my
apartment to diagnose my DVR box.  As he finished I mentioned my
bandwidth issue.  He took one look at my modem and said "oh, well you
have the wrong modem."  He had the right one on his truck.  Swapped them
out, reprovisioned, bam.  7.5+ mpbs.

Funny that no CSR I ever spoke to happened to notice "you have the wrong
modem" while logged in to it.

Ah well.  Maybe I'll give Earthlink a try after my introductory rate
ends.

~B