[TriLUG] TimeWarner tinkering around with time travel?

OlsonE at aosa.army.mil OlsonE at aosa.army.mil
Fri Apr 11 08:45:09 EDT 2008

Hmm. I went to AT&T's site to look up business class DSL @ home, and
here's what I got back...:
                UP / DOWN
Single-IP IDSL 144-144Kbps - ($99.95)
Multi-IP IDSL  144-144Kbps - ($142.45)

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Scott G. Hall
Sent: Thursday, April 10, 2008 7:00 PM
To: Triangle Linux Users Group General Discussion
Subject: Re: [TriLUG] TimeWarner tinkering around with time travel?

Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> MG wrote:
>> YMMV, of course, but I'd take dialup before TWC.
>
> Just goes to show how different user experiences can be.  I've had
> TWC since they announced the beta RR service back in...hmmm...99?
> My service has always been fantastic.  The few problems that I've
> had with the service (usually related to the rather long and ancient
> cable coming into my house) have been remedied promptly. I would
> NEVER go back to dial-up.

Again shows the difference in experience: in my neighborhood everyone
complained about outages and and slowdowns before we signed up for
anything.  Our experience with their cable service at our apartment
was abysmal (and continually jacked-up rates didn't help).

So first thing I did when we moved in is go DSL (~2001 timeframe),
and have been extremely happy since.  For the last couple of years
I have been on business class DSL, and I get faster throughput than
any of my neighbors on TWC/RR.  And I don't experience near the
dropouts that they do.  Sure, I had to upgrade my modem a couple of
times over the years (one went bad, other for faster b-class service
and wireless capability).  Plus my rate is still cheaper than my
neighbor's residential class.  Hummmm, faster and more reliable
service at a cheaper rate - go figure.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA