[TriLUG] OT: job posting

bak bak at picklefactory.org
Sun Apr 13 11:34:36 EDT 2008

Hi LUGgers,

I know job postings have been appreciated on the list before, but for
some reason it took me a couple weeks to think of this list as a good
place to post about an opportunity where I work.  I normally think of
TriLUG as just a place to lurk for the geeky conversation.

I'm in customer support at NetApp here in RTP.  I've recently moved on
to a higher-level role and I'm looking for someone to fill my old spot.

In my experience, many of the best UNIX-oriented support folks have an
administrative background, so I'd love to see:

-- 5+ years of UNIX admin experience -- Linux (of course), Solaris, AIX
all very welcome.  What counts is knowing "the UNIX way".
-- The ability to soak up new information like a sponge.
-- Excellent communications and customer service skills.  (Some days it
feels like that's all the job consists of.)

Other bits:
-- This is not a phone-answering, level 1 support sort of job.  We have
other folks to do that.
-- If you join the shift I'm currently on, it'll be 4 x 10, Sunday to
Wednesday, 07:00 - 18:00.
-- You never have to carry a pager or fix things in the middle of the
night.  Although it's hard work when you're here, when I worked this
position it was extremely rare that I worked more than 45 hours in a week.
-- There's more than enough work to go around, and due to the nature of
the job, it can be quite high-stress and high-pressure at times.  If you
can't bring a sense of urgency to the job when it's appropriate, don't
bother.
-- It's a fun environment.  The people here are smart and geeky.  Lots
of nerdy cube humor, NERF guns, etc.
-- There's opportunity for advancement.  We're growing and I often see
support folks with experience move on after a couple years to other
roles in QA, sales, engineering, professional services, field support...
-- It pays well compared to most admin jobs I've seen in RTP.  Plus
bonus, 401(k), stock purchase program, options, superb medical and
dental, and a week off every year to volunteer in the community.
-- If you're the right candidate, you don't have to live in RTP; we'll
relocate.

Additional technical things that I would love to see:

-- NFS experience, most of all.  Bonus points for Oracle-related NFS, or
NFSv4.
-- Backup experience -- NetBackup, Legato, Tivoli, Fibre Channel and
SCSI-attached tapes.
-- Virtualization experience, especially VMWare ESX.  I'm sure many of
you have noticed that this is a Big Thing nowadays.
-- Fibre Channel experience, either via Brocade or Cisco.

Here's a link to the job req:

https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?SID=^JBpdo69j0AcTDW9h3/4RL_slp_rhc_zQtYGf_slp_rhc_0xo1KtgTKZZHtz2mz2iTCnQSE1jvpJyHOEa2D1Af0_slp_rhc_l9zHv_C_R__L_F_ErpE9V8HB2FKB7gMoyAgL9NSkyC2NoE=&jobId=45729&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=1&JobSiteId=5100&JobSiteInfo=45729_5100&GQId=0

I realize that link is extremely ugly -- so just hit up the requisition
number if you want.  It's 1891BR.

Feel free to drop me a line if you have any questions, I'll be glad to
discuss anything above.

--bak