[TriLUG] Linux virtualization - Re: Hosting Services w/ Ipower

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Apr 13 22:42:53 EDT 2008

$WORK is using a non-free product called "Scalent" (www.scalent.com) to
handle the management aspects of a Xen-based paravirtualization setup.
It's pretty nice software but still in the 1.0 stage (a bit buggy).
Scalent allows for all kinds of automatic management and monitoring,
migrating the "personas" (virtual environments) between VMs as
necesssary.  It can even migrate from a virtual machine to bare metal
which is kinda neat.  This does require you to use a fully NFS based
filesystem (e.g. no local disks) for best results.  Scalent also does
all sorts of virtual networking, and management of our Dell 1855/1955
hardware, the value of which I'm not enamored with at the moment.

Having just gotten into virtualization through Scalent, I'm wondering
what open source has in this arena for top-down management of virtual
environments.  Scalent has all the pretty GUIs and such that make
managers happy - is there anything similar in OSS?

--Jeremy