[TriLUG] Hosting Services w/ Ipower

jason tower jtower at cerient.net
Sun Apr 13 15:37:25 EDT 2008

i appreciate the referrals from ron and chris.  we're actually moving
away from vmware (don't worry chris, we'll continue supporting you!)
towards a completely open source virtualization solution such as xen or
kvm.  actually we've been running a xen paravirt server for a couple of
years, it's rock solid with excellent performance but requires
cooperation from the guest vm to run which isn't always possible.  the
recent opteron cpus (with svm flag) should eliminate that requirement,
i've been playing around with kvm on my athlon x2 desktop running ubuntu
hardy and it's pretty slick.  still not fully baked but combines the
speed of paravirt with the flexibility of vmware.

jason