[TriLUG] Strange "squirrelmail" dilema

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Apr 29 12:20:17 EDT 2008

You've already solved your (her) problem so this may no longer be of
use, but . . .

At 10:16p -0400 on Mon, 28 Apr 2008, Paul G. Szabady wrote:
> I have a friend who uses squirrelmail for her work.  She needs to be
> able to grab all her email but there's no export functionality in
> squirrelmail.  I tried to connect to the server with both imap and pop
> since the server is listening on those ports as well, but the un/pw
> don't work.

Does the server listen externally on those ports, or just internally for
webmail purposes?  It also may append her fully qualified username
during authentication, so 'user/pass' may become 'user at domain.tld/pass'

> Does anyone have any suggestions on how I might use something over port
> 80 to download her email?  I've played around with wget, but can't seem
> to figure out how to authenticate, presumably because of the redirect at
> login....

wget can use browser cookies, so you could authenticate via any browser
that uses the original Netscape cookies.txt format (e.g. Firefox), and
then point wget to use that file.

--load-cookies /path/to/cookies.txt    # wget option

Kevin