[TriLUG] how-to: preshare ssh key

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 14:02:16 EDT 2008

Ron - the rsyncd man pages don't look exactly the clearest, so I'm going to
ask:

My specific problem is that I have a master repository of content that may
or may not be updated, but must be replicated from a parent server to too
child servers if it is updated.

If the repository *is* updated, new data will be on the order of gigabytes
(these are os images).

If using rsync in daemon mode makes sense, I will definitely need some
assistance as I've only ever been on the receiving end of rsyncs in the past
(I'm a mirror for m0n0wall).

Thanks,
WMM

On 6/3/08, Ron Joffe <rjoffe at yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 June 2008 13:15, Warren Myers wrote:
> > I need to set up rsync between a pair of servers and want to use ssh to
> > accomplish that.
> >

> I would highly recommend that you look at utilizing rsyncd (daemon) mode.
> It
> will accomplish what you want without requiring shared keys, and with much
> more precise control of who can sync and to where.
>
> Let us know if you need help configuring it.
>
> Ron

Warren Myers
http://warrenmyers.com