[TriLUG] selecting one wap from many: MAC addresses of waps

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Mon Jul 28 11:51:16 EDT 2008

On Sun, 27 Jul 2008, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:

I'm trying to selectively associate with one of several
waps, all with the same SSID, but on different channels. My
attempts to select the wap by MAC address using iptables
didn't work; it seems that MAC addresses of IP packets
aren't involved in setting up the association. Presumably
the association is setup at the PHY level (level 1?).

It turns out that you can set the channel and the
association MAC address (the MAC of the wap, available from
iwlist) on your wifi card with iwconfig. However these
settings seem to be ignored (or overridden) when using
wpa_supplicant (I haven't tried anything else yet).

Suggestions welcome

Thanks Joe