[TriLUG] selecting one wap from many: MAC addresses of waps

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Wed Jul 30 16:53:20 EDT 2008

On Wed, 30 Jul 2008, Michael Ansel wrote:

>> It turns out that you can set the channel and the association MAC
>> address (the MAC of the wap, available from iwlist) on your wifi
>> card with iwconfig. However these settings seem to be ignored (or
>> overridden) when using wpa_supplicant (I haven't tried anything
>> else yet).
>>
>> Suggestions welcome
>>
>> Thanks Joe
>>

> If you are running NetworkManager, I believe there is an option to set
> the router/access point's MAC address in Connection Settings.

Glad someone replied. All the wireless user groups have
folded - I guess there's nothing left to learn. The forums
on DD-WRT are very busy and I expect they haven't noticed my
postings.

I tried setting the wap's MAC address with

iwconfig eth0 ap $mac

but this didn't make any difference, whether I did it before
or after connection, and whether I used wpa_supplicant or
the standard wireless tools to connect.

Setting the channel didn't make any difference either. After
the connection was established it was to the channel and MAC
address of some other wap.

> The other place to look would be in the network
> configuration files (try /etc/network,
> /etc/sysconfig/networking, or
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts).

I expect these just feed params to iwconfig.

> The only time I've done strict associations has been using
> iwconfig on OpenWrt,

so you got it to work? What might I have done to not get it
to work?

Wondering if the iwconfig command was being completely
ignored, I changed the SSID and this got me to a different
wap, so some of the iwconfig commands do something.

Joe