[TriLUG] Anybody using DD-WRT?

John Wheeler jwheeler at etherealfringe.com
Thu Jul 31 16:10:38 EDT 2008

I run dd-wrt on quite a few routers, from buffalo's to wrt54g's and
most recently, a WRT 310n (great 4-port gigabit N router for $99 @
best buy - as long as you don't need external antennae).
As far as i know there is no auto update feature for the firmware. It
has to be done manually. No service i can think of should allow
connections from set ips at all times.
I mean the firmware can do many things, from kaid xbox networks, to
vpn solutions running on the router, to dynamic ip -> hostname
updating services like dyndns.

But in all cases the connections should be initiated from the router
itself. This is puzzling, i am looking into it.
You might consider posting to the forums or ask in #dd-wrt on
freenode. I will say this much, the community around dd-wrt is
comprised of fairly knowledgeable folks. It's hard to imagine anything
devious here.
Still, it is puzzling.

What services do you have turned on for this setup? Have you modified
the default options much?

John Wheeler
Web Applications Developer
jcw.dev at gmail.com