[TriLUG] asterisk or asterisk hosted or some other phone number redirect service?

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 09:46:29 EDT 2008

Has anyone ever used a service for keeping your phone number, just
routing it somewhere else??  I have this work issued CrackBerry and my
contract is up with my regular home mobile (my only personal phone
number).  I want to keep this number, but not carry 2 freakin phones
around.  I *COULD* get twtc digital phone and run * at home but that
requires learning I'm not sure I have time for right now.  My hope is
that this service also re-directs SMS text messaging, but that may be
asking for a lot.  I'd really like to get an iPhone and connect to
work email/calendar with that and ditch the CrackBerry but I don't
think work is going to jump on that option. (It doesn't mean I can't
get an iPhone and carry 2 phones, but that's what I'm attempting to
avoid, carrying 2 devices.)

Suggestions from others who have had a number they wanted to keep and
had to put it somewhere?  Or, anyone want to earn a steak dinner for
getting me going with * at home?

thanks,
David McDowell
http://www.turnpike420.net