[TriLUG] Updating Ubuntu

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Aug 14 08:53:30 EDT 2008

In the 6->7 timeframe, I used to boot with the live CD, and then move my
hard disk's root partition out of the way ("cd / ; mkdir OLD ; mv *
OLD").  Then I would install the new OS.  When it was done, I would
manually move /home and anything else I forgot (/usr/local).  I would
keep the /OLD directory around until I felt like I had made the transition.

But somewhere, recently, they have decided to force you to format the
root partition.  So that plan no longer works.

The next best thing is an external USB hard disk.  Plug in, back up,
reinstall, restore.

Alan

.