[TriLUG] finding a MAC address

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Aug 15 11:40:04 EDT 2008

On Fri, 15 Aug 2008, Christopher L Merrill wrote:

> Shawn Taylor wrote:
>> How did you find out there was an issue?
>
> Our VOIP provider blacklisted us as a result of the alleged activity  :(

this is a layer 2 problem

o there is no IP as shown by arp -a

o the box is tftp'ing, presumably trying to get a kernel to
boot from. What boxes have gone down (crashed) lately and
are trying to reboot over ethernet? Do you have a deranged
wap or other embedded box?

layer 3 tools aren't going to do it. There are 2 different
arping programs. The one based on iproute2 is a layer 3
ping. The one by Habets

http://www.habets.pp.se/synscan/programs.php?prog=arping

has a layer 2 ping. If the device responds (apparently it
doesn't have to), you can then start pulling ethernet cables
till you find the offending box.

Joe