[TriLUG] X video modes for CentOS 5 on a PowerEdge 300

Steve Litt slitt at troubleshooters.com
Thu Aug 21 23:14:05 EDT 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008 16:48, Christopher L Merrill wrote:
> I've got an old PE 300 (pentium 3) that I'm trying to get CentOS 5
> running on. We had no trouble running CentOS 3 on these machines in
> the past.  After install, when X starts, I get the bottom of the desktop
> cutoff in the X session. Instead, in that area it shows the top inch
> or so of the desktop.
>
> I've been fortunate in the past and never had to hand-configure
> X video modes. As a result, my Google-foo is weak and I haven't
> even found a good starting point.
>
> Can anyone point me to a good troubleshooting guide?

Knoppix is your friend. Boot knoppix, mount a hard drive partition r/w, and
copy Knoppix's Xorg.conf to the hard disk. My experience is it usually
creates a 60hz blinky image that is irritating as an all day thing, but I
doubt you'll be using a 300Mhz machine all day anyway.

SteveT

Steve Litt
Recession Relief Package
http://www.recession-relief.US