[TriLUG] Looking for the simplest stand-in temporary mail server

Brian Henning Brian.Henning at datadirect.com
Thu Sep 11 09:32:04 EDT 2008

Hiya LUGgers,

I'm moving on Saturday.  I host my own e-mail.  There will be down-time
during the move, and I don't want to deal with the hassle of some
mailing lists that auto-unsubscribe on any sort of bounce (including
transient non-fatals).  So my parents have agreed to let me set up my
laptop at their house as a stand-in server.  I'll redirect my DNS to
point to it until my new residence is set up with internet access.

So my question is: What's the simplest, least-setup-required thing to
use to listen on port 25 and cache inbound e-mail?  At worst, I could do
a full sendmail setup with all the same accounts and aliases that my
live setup has, and then somehow transfer the received mail onto the
live setup.  That doesn't seem optimal, though; seems like that would
involve a bit of hoop-jumping to get the mail back onto the live server.

So short of a full sendmail setup on my laptop, what sort of options do
I have?

Thanks,
~Brian

Brian A. Henning