[TriLUG] Looking for the simplest stand-in temporary mail server

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Thu Sep 11 09:47:59 EDT 2008

> So my question is: What's the simplest, least-setup-required
> thing to use to listen on port 25 and cache inbound e-mail?

Ask a friend who is already running a mail server to add your
domain as a 2ndary MX.  When yours comes back online, you'll
get all of your mail back.

If you insist on setting one up yourself, you should be able
to install postfix on Ubuntu (maybe even from the live CD).
I would think the default config should work pretty well.
The main thing you'll want to tweak is one line in the
main.cf file:

relay_domains = mydomain.com

Don't change your primary MX in DNS... just add a secondary
(that is, a second entry with a higher number than the primary).

Alan

.