[TriLUG] XP/Vista on Ubuntu

Chess Griffin chess at chessgriffin.com
Wed Oct 1 09:50:02 EDT 2008

Nolan Caudill wrote:
> I have a fairly simple setup (ie, no need for exposing the the VM to the
> network), but VirtualBox has worked great for me with WinXP on Ubuntu 7.10
> and 8.04.
>
> Nolan Caudill

VirtualBox (both the closed source binary version and the OSE version)
is nice, but I have found that VMWare Player (free to download) uses the
CPU a bit more efficiently.  VirtualBox seems to peg my CPU at 100% for
a few moments from time to time and I've never encountered that with
VMWare Player.  Also, VMWare runs other OS's like FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and
OpenSolaris perfectly while the latest VirtualBox can't handle them well
at all.

For VMWare Player images, you can download them from
http://www.vmware.com/appliances or you can use a site like
http://easyvmx.com/ to create VMWare images for any OS including
Windows.  You input your desired settings, download the resulting small
zip file, insert the OS CD, and then start the VMWare image.  It boots
the CD and installs the OS.  I've used easyvmx.com for several different
OS's and it works great.

--
Chess Griffin
GPG Key:  0x0C7558C3