[TriLUG] Mesh Networking hardware

Michael Ansel trilug at michaelansel.otherinbox.com
Mon Nov 3 13:03:14 EST 2008

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 8:18 PM, Neil L. Little <nllittle at embarqmail.com> wrote:
> I have a project that I have been doing some research on. The goal is to
> create a small mesh network that can be used at small business events to
> provide internet access. The Internet connectivity will be provided
> using one of the wireless 3G WWAN solutions.
(snip)
> For the FON to mesh it must be reflashed. I have found a firmware
> package called ROBIN that uses the BATMAN mesh algorithm and is built on
> top of OpenWRT Kamakazi. It is said to be 0-config/Plug-and-Play.
(snip)
> Does anyone have experience with either of these devices.
> Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.
>
> 73,
> Neil,WA4AZL
> JARS Forever!!
> www.jars.net

Neil,

I've never worked with the Meraki routers, but I've done a lot of
playing around with a couple of Fon routers I got for free a while
back. Thanks to the telnet-enabled Redboot bootloader, I've been able
to reflash them countless times (to repair my wonderful screw ups)
without needing any special hardware.

In order to turn on telnet (called boot_wait), you have to get inside
Fon's default firmware. There are countless exploits listed online;
you just have to find the one that works with your version. (One tip:
reset the router as soon as you get it, and don't connect it to the
internet until you've gotten inside the firmware. This frequently
resets it to an older firmware that has more holes in it)

Once you're inside the firmware (so that you can just SSH in), there
is a HowTo on the OpenWrt wiki explaining how to reflash the RedBoot
configuration over SSH (otherwise you need a serial cable). Following
the directions on there worked perfectly for me.

Finally, once you've got telnet enabled, you can load up RedBoot and
reflash different firmwares to your heart's desire. I've attached my
notes for reflashing my routers with OpenWrt (openwrt-atheros-2.6). I
/think/ it all makes sense, but I just use it for cut-and-paste now.
Feel free to let me know if you've got any questions.

Overall, I think the Fon routers are excellent little routers to do
all kinds of fun projects with, though I wish a company would actually
sell boxes like this that are completely open and supported (the
Netgear Open Router stuff is cool.... but I like my tiny box!). USB
would also be a super plus. Anyways, enough dreaming!

Hope that helps you out a little bit with your decision!

Michael

E-mail: michael.ansel at gmail.com
AIM: mransel89
Website: http://www.anselcomputers.com