[TriLUG] Mesh Networking hardware

Neil L. Little nllittle at embarqmail.com
Wed Nov 5 21:02:34 EST 2008

Thanks Michael,

Take a look at open-mesh.com. From my research on the subject, meraki
jacked up the price of their routers and started pushing ads and such.
Apparently reflashing the hardware violates their TOS. This also goes
for the Fon as well. I found that a company called accton manufactures a
meraki/fon clone and comes preflashed with the ROBIN firmware. It seems
to be the best solution.

http://www.open-mesh.com/store/

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Open-Mesh-Picks-Up-Where-Meraki-Left-Off-92532

I am no stranger to the subject of reflashing of embedded devices to
repurpose them for other uses. I cut my teeth on the Linksys NSLU2 to
turn it into a Debian box running the Apache HTTPD server to
pre-position content.

This also got me to purchase a WRT54GL so that I could repurpose it for
a server/router on my home network.

I think that there is a utility from the NSLU2 world that you could
use/adapt to make it easier to gain access to the boot loader.

I think the windows version is called Sercomm. There is a linux utility
called Upslug that lets you put the device on an ethernet network and
then just upload the firmware with a minimum of problems. I am not
certain as to if this will work on other devices. I have only used it on
the slug so far.

Here is the link:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Main/UpSlug

I am having to reconstruct some of these notes as they were on another
system that suffered a motherboard failure and I have not gotten that
system back in service yet.

Thanks for the information on the FON. I am discovering that this is
only scratching the service of mesh networking. I have been reading
about several other projects such as the CUWiN project and then there is
the OLSR (OLSR.org) project and the thing about it is every single one
of these projects are using a different routing scheme.

Thanks,
Neil