[TriLUG] md5sum question

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Thu Nov 6 18:27:35 EST 2008

At 6:19pm -0500 Thu, 06 Nov 2008, Kevin Hunter wrote:
> Downthread you say it's 3 inches above your head, so let me attempt an
> explanation:

> [ explanation snipped ]

That all said, I second Alan Porter's suggestion that you learn about rsync.
I find it a very handy utility when transferring large files, especially over
a slow/inconsistent network, but also between slow and older disks.  It can
transfer files in pieces, and only if those pieces have changed.  This enables

* restart of broken upload/downloads
* very quick synchronization of minimally changed files.  (e.g. daily updates
  to an iso or virtual machine image)
* minimal bandwidth usage

Tell us what you go with, eh?

Kevin