[TriLUG] md5sum question

Jason Watts jsnonzzr at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 18:44:55 EST 2008

For replicating files  (trying to check the integrity is just a small
portion of what I am trying to get done)  I am planning on using rsync.  I
have noticed at work, that rsync on a gig network with a nice 4 disk raid on
one, and 10 disk on the other, it is quicker than scp.  (not using any of
the restart features due to the directory being recreated every night).

For integrity... on my personal stuff, I can use any number of things... i
am completely up for anything there.

Another question, If I use  the find -exec md5sum | sort | md5sum only mod
it to find -exec md5sum > myfile.md5

wont I have what I am looking for?  a hash of all the files individually
within that upper level directory?  and would my version only be one way?
can I use md5 to read the myfile.md5?  or would I have to generate two md5's
and run a dif?  (let me know if this confuses anyone... I am thinking in
text  as well as fishing for answers)
Thanks, the help here is quite appreciated.

Jason