[TriLUG] Wireless Router Recommendations

Ron Young ronyoung at nc.rr.com
Tue Nov 18 22:13:14 EST 2008

All,
I have a need to install a wireless router in a small business.  This router
would serve one of his employees in the shop with a laptop and the
occasional customer in the waiting room.

The owner approaches the network and computers very seriously and will take
my recommendation without hesitation.  However, I believe some of you have
more commercial experience than I and I in turn would respect your
recommendations.  I am not at all sure that a D-Link or Linksys like I have
used at home are sufficient for this application.  Perhaps they are but
would like to hear from some of you.

There will are 6 windoze XP boxes and and soon to be a  linux box that hosts
a web based application that is key to his business.  I currently tunnel ssh
thru cygwin on one of the windoze boxes to do VNC support on all his
computers.

He is about to get a T1 connection from AT&T and will lose the router
supplied by Bellsouth which currently serves as a hardware firewall and NAT
and port forwarding for the ssh tunnel.

I know that the linux box could do all that and more but feel I am not a
sufficiently experienced sys admin to properly and with confidence protect
his business with iptables and other such.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Ron Young
919-621-9015