[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Kevin Hunter hunteke at earlham.edu
Tue Nov 25 10:58:17 EST 2008

At 10:12am -0400 on Tue, 25 Nov 2008, James Tuttle wrote:
> I suspect that academia, in general, offers the benefits described here.
> While there may be some pager carrying, I seriously doubt there are
> many work weeks that last more than 45 hours for the vast majority of
> technologists on campus.  None that I know have a Masters and many don't
> have a bachelors, though that may be a case of being grandfathered in.
> Age discrimination doesn't seem to be in play here, either.

Wow.  Is that for larger public universities?  Almost every medium to
small higher-ed institution with which I've been involved totes more the
60+ hour workweek.  Granted, it's 40 hours + gotta-get-this-project-done
+ this-is-really-interesting, but most technologists I know in academia
spend considerably more time that 40-45 hours/week.

On the other hand, it might also be the split between the administrative
and academic sides of campuses.  I will note that the administrative
side seems to be ... better able to shelve the job at 5p and on the weekend.

Kevin