[TriLUG] Not Linux: Anyone else feeling the pain?

Dave Sorenson dave at logicalgeek.com
Tue Nov 25 11:35:03 EST 2008

Since I was mentioned by name 8-)

Average at the community college I'm at is 45-50 hours a week... some
weeks more some less. During registration/ first 3 weeks of class much
more, middle of summer semester much less, but is a good time for
projects. Also have a crackberry leash and am the on call guy if things
go horribly wrong. Fortunately I have things pretty well in order here
so much of what happens more frequently I can handle remotely. I usually
end up having to race in only 1-2 times a year. (The Windows Admins are
in closer to once a month... Thank you CentOS!)

Weekends are pretty free except for keeping the crackberry close. If you
have more than 1 person that can do admin duties you have a lighter on
call load.

Nice thing about being the only guy is you do get to experiment and
learn a lot of esoteric stuff.. Perk in my book.

Fun places to work if you can deal with professors as users..

Dave