[TriLUG] Running Winders XP in Linux

Jim Ray jim at neuse.net
Sat Dec 13 22:13:14 EST 2008

Blasphemy. Friggin Winders user.

-----Original Message-----
From: trilug-bounces at trilug.org [mailto:trilug-bounces at trilug.org] On
Behalf Of Neil L. Little
Sent: Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:49 PM
To: TriLUG General Discussion
Subject: [TriLUG] Running Winders XP in Linux

In my next step of transition toward being winders free, I want to run a
XP installation as a virtual machine on a Linux box. (ok, the original
winders box (mobo) died and I dont want to have to go through the pain
of getting it activated again after I have replaced the Mobo, the
Processor, the video card, ok the only thing that remains the same is
the hard drive and the case itself.). Another reason for doing this has
to do with the applications I had on the system as well as a lot of
other files I still need (Like my original resume files, email contacts
and the like).

As this is my first attempt at using virtualization ever and I see that
there are more than one choice (QEMU, KVM, OpenVZ etc.), so which
application is going to allow me to set this all up with the least pain?

The system is on the original hard drive (Formatted as NTFS).
The Linux distribution used will be Ubuntu (or rather the Kubutu KDE
desktop environment).

I seem to remember that there was a program or two presented at a Trilug
meeting in the past but all those old notes and emails from the
discussion list, reside (you guessed it) on the Winders machine.

So I need to pointed in a direction where I can find a "How To" or
something of the sort that will tell me about:
1. Making an Image of that Winders hard drive 2. Installing a virtual
machine application on Ubuntu 3. Getting that XP installation running in
the virtual machine

As always, thanks for the help in advance.

73,
Neil, WA4AZL
www.jars.net