[TriLUG] Running Winders XP in Linux

Cristóbal Palmer cmp at cmpalmer.org
Sat Dec 13 23:03:52 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 13, 2008 at 7:48 PM, Neil L. Little <nllittle at embarqmail.com> wrote:

> As this is my first attempt at using virtualization ever and I see that
> there are more than one choice (QEMU, KVM, OpenVZ etc.), so which
> application is going to allow me to set this all up with the least pain?

Virtualbox under Ubuntu is ridiculously easy, especially if you just
want NAT on the guest machine.

> 1. Making an Image of that Winders hard drive
> 2. Installing a virtual machine application on Ubuntu
> 3. Getting that XP installation running in the virtual machine

vmware was the way to go for this last time I checked. I have no idea
if virtualbox will let you do that. If you're not terribly worried
about the effort of re-installing the OS and software, then you could
just mount the drive (or an image of the drive), recover your data,
and then pull that to the new virtual machine that you install under
virtualbox.

Cheers,
--
Cristóbal M. Palmer
"Small acts of humanity amid the chaos of inhumanity provide hope. But