[TriLUG] Javascript.. why?

Glenn Hennessee glenn.hennessee at gmail.com
Mon Dec 15 13:16:20 EST 2008

Cristóbal is correct that sites need to "decay gracefully" to a functioning state with javascript disabled. From an accessibility standpoint javascript can create major problems with sites. For a user who can't use a mouse and and a site that uses a javascript menu system that can't be navigated with just a keyboard that site has locked that user out of the the site. Far too many javascript menu systems aren't accessible under 508(C) of the Americans with Disabilities Act. Web 2.0 applications use AJAX under hood and if not written properly will leave the visually impaired unable to the app. All public universities/colleges in NC are subject to state law that says that their publicly available material must be handicapped accessible. Target settled a class action lawsuit in September of this year for $6,000,000 over their web site not being accessible. In addition to being the right thing to do, it's also relatively easy in most situations to make a site accessible.

glenn

--
Glenn Hennessee
Department of Chemistry