[TriLUG] New Year's Resolution: Backup my data (backuppc rocks)

Jeff Ellis jeff-lists at ellises.us
Wed Dec 31 08:23:39 EST 2008

I've been meaning to setup a backup system for a set of computers at
home.  A recent disk failure and the loss of a few months of data have
provided the kick in the pants needed to get moving on that project.  I
know this has been discussed here before, in several threads which I
read but did nothing about, but with the new year dawning it seemed like
a good time to throw in another plug for the Backuppc software.  It
absolutely rocks, quietly backing up any number Linux and Windows PCs
(without having to place the files in a shared directory), providing an
easy web interface for configuration / restoring files, and compressing
and sharing files to save backup space.  Now, I'm sure that on a list
like this everyone but me is religious about their backups, but just in
case, I thought I'd share ;).  Give it a try if you're running a Linux
server.  It's available via the package manager for Ubuntu (not sure
about other distros) and you can find more details at:

http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/

Now I just need to get a couple of external drives for a rotating
offsite backup scheme via sneakernet (cable modem upload speed just
seems to slow to backup 100's of GB over the internet) and I can sleep
at night again.

Happy New Year,
Jeff